Whether you are celebrating family members birthdays or approaching the birthday of your lost loved one, birthdays can be reminders of loss. How do you continue family traditions despite pain?
From Our Experience
Tips to Cope with Reawakened Grief
According to an article by the Mayo Clinic, “Even years after a loss, you might continue to feel sadness when you’re confronted with reminders of your loved one’s death. As you continue healing, take steps to cope with reminders of your loss. For example:”
- Be prepared. Reactions on special days are normal. Knowing that you’re can experience reactions can help you understand them and even turn them into opportunities for healing.
- Plan a distraction. Schedule a gathering or a visit with friends or loved ones during times when you’re likely to feel alone or be reminded of your loved one’s death.
- Reminisce about your relationship. Focus on the good things about your relationship with your loved one and the time you had together, rather than the loss.
- Start new traditions. Don’t be afraid to enjoy the people who are still with you. If it is your loved ones birthday, then do something special to honor them.
- Connect with others. Draw friends and loved ones close to you, including people who were special to your loved one. Find someone who’ll encourage you to talk about your loss. Stay connected to your usual support systems, such as spiritual leaders and social groups. Also be mindful of other family members who also may be grieving the loss.
- Allow yourself to feel a range of emotions. It’s OK to be sad and feel a sense of loss, but also allow yourself to experience joy and happiness. As you celebrate special times, you might find yourself both laughing and crying.
More From Our Blog on Celebrating Birthdays
- October 18, 2015
- No comments
The holidays are approaching and I watch everyone else filled with excitement and anticipation. Scott loved the holidays and it was always such a happy time in our house, but I find now that I dread those days. I have learned to live with all of the normal days of...
- May 15, 2015
- No comments
When you have suffered loss, the special days of the year are often the hard days. It can be easy to fear or dread them. Grief has a way of poking it’s head into any potentially happy and memory building event, almost as if it is taunting, “You will...