The one year anniversary of the death of a loved one is a pivotal day, marking the passage of a year without them, yet also a year survived. How do we best remember the ones we love and create traditions that bond the family together? How do we deal with the extra grief that can consume these special days?
From Our Experience
Ideas to Commemorate the one-year Mark
- Release balloons with notes.
- Do a service project or ask others to do small acts of kindness. (Give to others while honoring your loved one. What a great example for your children! )
- Encourage family and friends to share a story about your loved one. Compile these in a book.
- Do something that you enjoyed doing together, or that they would enjoy watching you do.
- Eat at your loved one’s favorite restaurant.
- Have a good time reminiscing looking at old pictures, family movies, or telling funny stories.
- Take a meal to someone in need in your loved one’s name.
More From Our Blog on Celebrating Birthdays
- October 18, 2015
The holidays are approaching and I watch everyone else filled with excitement and anticipation. Scott loved the holidays and it was always such a happy time in our house, but I find now that I dread those days. I have learned to live with all of the normal days of...